Thursday 17 September 2015

Weekend in Lincoln

Hello again!

So this post is a bit different and a bit more personal. I thought I'd write almost a diary entry of what I got up to a few weeks ago when I visited my friends in Lincoln. I thought it'd be interesting to tell you what we got up to so that you can take inspiration from it if you're planning a trip out, if you're bored or if you like photography because Lincoln is beautiful, especially if the weather is nice.

So me and my boyfriend headed to Nottingham Train Station, planning to get on the 1:30 train to Lincoln. However, with my misjudgment and frantic manner, we ended up getting there over an hour early, silly really but I just wanted to be prepared....some might say a little too prepared. After this little hiccup, we got on the earlier train. If going on an early train journey, I recommend taking some breakfast food and enjoying the scenery. We had croissants but if I'd have thought more about it, I'd have made something of the outing to make it a little nicer. There are lots of little coffee shops around Nottingham as well, so a little stop off at one of these before the train would have made the trip feel a little more relaxing. If you're in a rush, you could always take a flask of tea or take your own drink. I think this is the best option because buying food or drink in the station is often a rip off!




Our first stop was to go and get some food, so we went to a good old, cheap as chips Wetherspoons, the one in Lincoln is called the Ritz. Now I am definitely a saver and I'm often called tight because of this, but I think that if you want a straight up, plain and simple but enjoyable meal, a Wetherspoon is worth a try. The drinks are good, the food is edible, so you can't complain. After feeling thoroughly fed, we headed to the shopping centre. They have a good variety of shops like Primark, H&M and New Look that are easy to get to. There are also some lovely little boutiques and cafes further up, closer to the Cathedral. The aptly named 'steep hill' is the name of the lane, that leads up to the Cathedral and the Castle and if anyone has already been there, you'll know that it is VERY steep- a good workout for you fitness fanatics.




For those who have a sweet tooth, you should visit the chocolate/fudge shop. The cheap skate in me was screaming when I saw my boyfriend (who would eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner) exit the shop with a bag of fudge, but it was only around £3.50 for the bag. Some might still say this was a lot, but we'd recently had a bad experience with fudge/nougat, in Nottingham's Market Square- a tip to others, make sure you have the confidence to say NO when stall sellers tell you that what you thought would be £2.50, then returned to be £5....Honestly, some of these market stalls are daylight robbers!




We walked to the Cathedral, which is on the right as you walk to the top and the castle walls are on the left. You have to pay to have tours of the Cathedral and can only enter up to a certain point until you have to pay, however, there are free to enter days. The last time I went in was at Christmas, when Lincoln does a brilliant Christmas Market to get you into the spirit. The Cathedral is massive and beautiful and that's really all I can say about it, since I'm no expert. But it is a good little trip and we were lucky enough to enter when there were some choirs on which just added to the atmosphere.




Our lovely friends had planned for us to go to Madame Waffle the next morning for breakfast. This was a new experience for me as 1) I'd never been to a waffle house and 2) I'd never had anything savory on a waffle. The cheapskate came out once again and I opted for scrambled egg, whilst the others had full English breakfast. I'd recommend going if you're ever passing as they serve all day.



I hope you've enjoyed my little diary entry style blog and I hope it has inspired you to go to Lincoln, have a trip out to somewhere new or to try out some new cafes!




Instagram


No comments :

Post a Comment