Tuesday 18 August 2015

Top tips for surviving university

I'm not an expert in anything as I always say and everyone is different, but I thought that these tips might help with getting you used to University life and some struggles you might encounter.


I am now going into my second year but I did have a very difficult first year. I wasn't sure whether I'd picked the right course, I felt trapped, it's a lot of money, was I clever enough etc etc etc. But, during my time, things got better but I had to go through a big learning curve to get there, so here's my story and some tips that you might find useful.


1. Try your hardest in everything you do (even though it may only be your first year).


Trying your best is sometimes automatic, but I remember hearing 'it's only first year' uttered everywhere. Yes it might only be first year and this year won't count to your final degree but you might enjoy the course more if you do try and that's what I found helped me. I found my course very dull at times if I wasn't fully immersing myself into it. Trying hard helps with grades, gets you into good habits for the rest of your life and well...why waste £9000 (UK university price)  a year if you're not going to try

2. Don't be too hard on yourself 


I'm addressing first years but this might also apply to other years. When doing an exam or a piece of coursework, the grade can reflect many things; you're effort, sometimes staff effort and then your general knowledge. My family has always told me 'you can only do your best', which was a very important thing for me to remember in first year. Be proud of what you've achieved and if you know you could have done more, then do more next time- one bad grade isn't the end of the world. 




3. Budget, know how to budget and remember how much you have in your budget. 

So I think I cleared up the first three steps just in the subheading, but many people fall into difficulty with money because they spend it on drinking and going out. Yes, university is an experience and you should enjoy it, but the experience of having no money.....well you don't even want to go there! You'll need money for; drinks, food, supplies, bills, fancy dress, clothes, travel.....the list goes on, so just make sure you've got enough! I recommend buying own brands and finding out what shops are best for price and quality, this goes without saying but it's a tip none the less.




4. Learning to compromise 

This one is pretty broad...But you will find yourself compromising on many things and it is a skill you can transfer into the 'real world'. Compromise with your flatmates, make a rota of chores, who cleans the kitchen on what day etc, compromise on going out if you have too much work to do or if you have lectures the next day, compromise on buying expensive clothes because you just wont have the money spare etc.....




5. Make a list

Make/find a list of everything you need for uni and make sure that you've checked everything off. Then remember to take it with you when you move into your accommodation because there's nothing worse than turning up to your uni halls and remembering that you've forgotten your hairdryer. 



6. Home comforts

You will probably get homesick at some point. Even if you feel fine by yourself when you're at home, you'll still miss it when you go away. The ability to go into the cupboards and grab what you want, to have a nice hot bath or have a cuddle with your pet/family is what you will miss. So to prevent this from ruining your time at uni, take home comforts like a pillow, a cork pin board to put up pictures of family and friends, some fairy lights to make your room cosy.....Whatever makes you happy




7. Try out a society

I started the dance classes at my uni, I also tried out the choir and didn't even end up staying in them for very long. Joining/trying out a society will help you make friends from different courses and it makes your life a whole lot nicer, knowing that not only have you got your flatmates and course mates, but you've met some other completely different people along the way. Also, see if the societies are holding free taster sessions as I ended up trying rock climbing and it was a lot of fun...Oh and it was free!




8. Don't worry about making friends

It will happen! I didn't feel like I belonged straight away because I was still finding my feet. I had a few friends but they weren't always in my seminar groups. However! It might just take a few weeks for everyone to settle in and get used to each other and remember they're probably in the same boat as you. 





9. Independent learning

You will be working on your own a lot. You will need to muster up the biggest load of motivation so that you do the work that you're set. You might feel that in college or sixth form you had no help, well imagine that X50. It will hit you like a brick, but once you've overcome the shock, you'll be fine





10. Enjoy it, don't sweat the small stuff and be careful

Going to a place that you don't know much about or just being in a town centre at night has its dangers wherever you are so just keep an eye out. Watch your drinks, be careful in relationships and HAVE FUN  





Disclaimer: (none of the pictures are my own)
These are all my top tips but of course there are some others. I'd also like to say to those of you who live at home...making friends can sometimes be slower, but you'll still make them so don't worry! 


Thanks for reading 


Instagram


No comments :

Post a Comment