Wednesday 17 August 2016

An Evening Boat Trip

So a few weeks ago I went on a boat trip with my Mum's work colleagues. This took place from Gunthorpe, along the River Trent. The river is opposite both Tom Browns Brassiere and The Unicorn pub. There is a small car park so the access is really great. We got there about 5:45, as the boat was set to go at 6pm sharp. After paying for my trip, I'd rather the boat didn't leave without me! We got there and the friendly boat driver/skipper welcomed us on board. The boat is big enough for a small kitchen area, a patio area and a seating room. Most importantly for me, there was also a toilet, which gave me comfort on what would be a three hour round trip.


The bow of the boat. Grey skies didn't bother us!


Looking back along the boat.


The amount of time we spent on the boat allowed us to enjoy; the wildlife, scenery and calming setting of Gunthorpe and the eventual arrival in Burton Joyce (near to the Ferry Boat pub). We all organised to bring some food and drink....not least forgetting a lovely chocolate cake made by one member. After taking a few pictures of the surrounding fields and animals, I was given the chance to steer the boat. I am able to drive a car, I have driven a speed boat with a wheel, but this was a traditional 'steering pole' (not sure of the official term). This meant that if you wanted to turn right, you point the pole left....Confusing right?


The happiness I gained from being in control


You can see the confusion.


I managed to do an okay job at it as I'm quite hands on. Other members of the group also had a go, with some better than others. This made the trip entertaining and it was a good chance to ask the skipper some questions about the river, his time working the river and about the job itself. The three hours flew by, although as stereotypes suggest, women can talk and we sure did! I would recommend this boat trip for work groups, small party groups or look into using a smaller boat and just enjoying what boating has to offer!


I hope you've enjoyed reading this blog post and leave a comment about your times on water! 




Instagram


1 comment :