Wednesday 17 June 2015

Places to visit #1 Jersey

I recently went on a 3 night spontaneous holiday with my parents and my boyfriend to Jersey. I thought I'd share my opinions on the island as I would recommend it to many people.

So first off, the flight is very short. I'm afraid of flying so for a flight to be 50 minutes long was great! As soon as you have lifted off, bought a drink and read a book, you're descending and preparing for landing. I would also like to include that I bought myself a colouring book. This might sound strange as I am not a child, but there is a new collection of colouring books for adults (art therapy) and I figured since I was afraid of flying, it'd take my mind off it. The book is thinner than the Game of Thrones book series that I'm reading at the moment, so it was the right size to fit into my small hand luggage bag.



Jersey is strange and interesting in itself. It is part of the Channel Islands between England and France and has therefore adopted both a French and English feel to it. I also felt at times that I could have been in Spain, due to the weather, the people and the music. The scenery was fantastic with its vast beaches, churches, castles and bunkers.


Jersey has many historical sites

This was not my first visit to Jersey. During my last visit I went to a World War Two army hospital which was really interesting but very cold as it was far underground. This time, we decided to go to the bunkers which were also from World War Two, when the island was under German occupation 






If history isn't really your thing or you're a bit like me and enjoy it in small doses, then there are other things to do. The beaches as I have mentioned are lovely, with soft sand, green/blue clear sea and the gorgeous weather to go with it. And if you find beaches a bit repetitive or want to get out of the sun, then you could always go to; the cinema, shopping, Jersey adventure park or Aqua Splash water park! For me the water park stood out as I love swimming and it looked like great fun and at £6/7 each, I didn't think it was too bad if you compare it to prices in the UK.


Jersey can sometimes be expensive. It is a tax free island, but sometimes prices of other things are higher. They use English pounds but also have their own currency. This makes it less complicated as you don't need to get money exchanged before you go, but just make sure that you spend your Jersey pounds as they cannot be used in England. Food prices vary. Their ice creams are around the £1.80/ £2.00 mark and I know it might seem strange that I'm adding this, but they have the best ice creams and you definitely get your monies worth. There were varying prices in restaurants, so you might just need to 'shop around'. The thing I found funniest was that they had a Cornish Pasty shop (the same company as the one in Cornwall) so it was nice to relax with a pasty and look out to sea.



So that is my Jersey review! I could go on and on about this place. I haven't even mentioned the hotels and there are some absolutely amazing ones right on the seafront! Hope you enjoyed the read
Stay tuned for more blog posts  






Instagram


No comments :

Post a Comment